A complete medical exam and testing are needed to distinguish epilepsy from other disorders.
If you experience a seizure for the first time, seek medical advice.
Seek immediate medical help if any of the following occurs during a seizure:
- The seizure lasts more than five minutes.
- Breathing or consciousness doesn’t return after the seizure stops.
- A second seizure follows immediately.
- You have a high fever.
- You’re experiencing heat exhaustion.
- You’re pregnant.
- You have diabetes
- You’ve injured yourself during the seizure.